Thursday, December 27, 2007

Day 43

Castries, St. Lucia. I did not feel like getting off the ship today. There has been a cold that everyone but Larrance and I seem to have been plagued with. Well…I feel like I’m starting to get it. However…this is the last port before two days of sea and nothing but. Andy, Deanna and I decided to head in. We had been to Reduit. We had been to Pigeon Point. There is a bartender on the ship named Michael…he is from St. Lucia. We saw him on our way out from breakfast and asked where a good beach was that was close…he pointed out the window. Bagshaw was the destination.

We got there and it was a little beach connected to a Sandals resort. We thought they might kick us out, but they were fine. The waves were the biggest we have dealt with. The water would pull you out just as a wave would form. I ran away from one wave and turned around to see Deanna lifted in the air and Andy knocked on his butt. Fun times!

There are these things called Neti Pots…you fill them with salt water and poor it directly into your sinuses through your nose. We get hit by Neti pot waves every so often. I was actually hoping for one today because of the oncoming cold and I lucked out and got one.

In other events, there is a phenomenon on the ship with the teens. They travel in packs and usually sit on the stairs. Of all the places to go hang out, they pick stairs. There are tons of places with tables and chairs…they pick stairs.

Deanna and I had a late night meal and a couple said hi and said they liked the show. Deanna asked them what their favorite port was and they said Samana. We were both stunned and excited to hear what they did. You may remember that Samana is a pretty poor town and kind of sad. So here was an opportunity to find out what was so great about it. I asked, “What did you do?” He said, “We went and rode on the ATVs. It is such a poor town that it really hit home with me how truly fortunate I am to be living the life I am.” It wasn’t the cool port, it was the life reflection port. This guy seemed very wise for a guy in his 20s…hell, for a guy in his 50s.

The sea days are a-comin’.

No comments: