Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Day 21

George Town, Grand Cayman. Today was great. Last night was not. It was a fitful night of sleep. By the time I felt like I could fall asleep, it was too late. Tender boats. Around 9am the sounds of tender boat winches, announcements of which ticket holders can now board the boats…plenty to keep a guy awake. Our plan was to go into town and go snorkeling. My last attempts at snorkeling had been between mediocre and disastrous. I wasn’t looking forward to it. Add to that that we had improv shows to do at night. I felt like takin’ it easy and debated heading in at all.

I decided to go, and there was mention of snorkeling so I brought my stuff. We went to a place called Cemetary Beach.Why? There is a cemetery right there. Supposedly there was good snorkeling there. Yeah, right…right? I grabbed my snorkel stuff and headed down to the water. I figured I would at least just practice breathing in the shallow areas while everyone else had fun.

At about 5 feet out…about 1 foot deep…I could see a couple fish swimming around. Then a big school of really tiny fish. Then a group of bigger fish coming out. I yelled up to Mike to grab my camera for me (in its waterproof case). I started shooting like crazy. Within a few moments I realized my breathing was normal, I was floating, and I had been out there a while. Apparently I just needed a camera in my hand to help me out.

My camera has a special “underwater mode” that color balances things. Unfortunately the switch is easy to hit with my thumb and that usually puts it in video mode. I took a lot of little video clips thinking it was taking photos. So I have photos and videos from my first successful snorkeling. I saw a lot of different things. The best was a huge lobster that I have an ok photo of. I dove down to get a better photo of it when it went under a rock and my batter died. Nuts!

Shows were good tonight. The exact right amount of “adult material” in the late show. Deanna was on fire. Afterward we ran into JAR Christopher in Fyzz and he danced with Deanna to “Raining Men”…I got it on video and will youtube it eventually.

Hopefully I’ll have more time in Miami to download videos. Eventually I’ll add links over on the side there.

No comments: