Monday, December 24, 2007

Day 40

Road Town, Tortola. Christmas Eve. Yes…Christmas Eve. We did what anyone would do on Christmas Eve…head to the beach! We went back to the beach we were on when I first tried snorkeling. I did much better, but that didn’t change the snorkeling. There were a lot of Pelicans diving into the water…why? Because there were THOUSANDS of little tiny fish swimming around. They were an inch to two inches long and they were everywhere. When I first headed out I didn’t se anything but them. The water was also cloudy with sand because there are some decent waves on that beach. And the first thing I saw that wasn’t little fish? A Stingray. Now, the mask adds 25% magnification so this stingray in actuality was probably 2-2.5 wide and 4 feet long including tail. Still a decent sized ray. My camera wasn’t on and by the time I turned it on, gone. I saw it again later and took a picture with flash. The flash reflected off all the soot in the water and I got nothin’. I never saw it again. I DID see some angel fish and got some pics of them. So, fairly good snorkeling day, but lackluster because of the photo conditions.

After snorkeling I got out to try and ride some waves…just body surfing. Deanna, Jen, Larrance and I were out there. A huge series of waves came out of nowhere. I rode the first one and got rolled by the next three. I got rolled a lot by these. Larrance would body surf and then disappear, only to reappear lying on shore as the wave went back into the ocean. The ocean is also a little perverted in that it kept taking the tops of Jen and Deanna.

Our cab driver was meeting us at 3:30. We went in to get some food at a little food shack right there on the beach. You know how some people just seem to be blessed with something odd? Like maybe one person always has butterflies land on their head. Or maybe you’re a person who finds money on the beach out of the blue. Well, I’m discovering my gift is to open unlocked doors (with working locks) to find old men pooping inside. Yep. It happened again at the food place. They have one bathroom with no stall. The clincher here? The door to the bathroom wasn’t even shut all the way. Just opened a crack (no pun intended for “clincher” or “crack”).

OLD MEN! LOCK DOORS IN BATHROOMS! The next time it happens I hope to do the following:
1) take a picture
2) point out the door
3) do a tutorial on the wonders of locking mechanisms
4) inform them that they have inspired a new website called stupid-poopers and they will be seen there.

Later at night some of us went to the Christmas sing-a-long. It was…odd. The pianist is Russian and learned the songs this week. They had a song book with words to the songs…kind of. Twelve Days of Christmas had 2 turle doves, 3 french horns, and 4 turtle doves. Someone called out the number for Hark, The Herald Angels Sing and he started playing Gloria…people sang the song for a couple lines before realizing it was the wrong song..

After that we had our Secretest of Santas gift exchange. Everyone won.

Tomorrow is Christmas!

No comments: