Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Day 48

George Town, Grand Cayman. I don’t remember if I’ve mentioned it, but we flipped the port order on this 5-day. Usually we hit Cozumel and THEN Grand Cayman. We’re doing it backwards this time.

We knew we had shows tonight, and we knew we had rehearsal at 4:30. This meant we could still do something on land. We chose to go back to Smiths Cove. Snorkeling, baby! That means more pictures of fish. Smiths Cove has a rope with floats that say “Swim Area.” The first time we were there I thought it was to keep us in…nope. It is to keep boats out. Roman and Sveta were with us and brought along a nice trick. Bread. Bring bread in the water and the fish come out to play (eat it). I don’t like being around people when I snorkel. I’ve already had a head on collision and now I’m always watching for people. Deanna and I had to find a happy medium. She would be too close and I’d get space or I’d go out kind of near other people, but they would head back in and I would be snorkeling alone. Not the safest thing. I’ve gotten more daring with experience. We’re going to try a spot in Cozumel tomorrow (theory).

My parents got me these waterproof cards with pictures and names of fish in Cayman and Cozumel. Pretty handy. I’ll use them to go back and name fish in my photos (another theory).

After that we had to come back for rehearsal and shows. I had my first failed coffee quest. I seek out a “big” mug, 3 raw (Domincan Brown) sugars, and a spoon for my coffee. Coffee and cream are easy to find. I don’t think the ship ordered more raw sugar. All last cruise the numbers dwindled. I would have to look around on the tables because it wasn’t in the sugars by the coffee makers. Then I started going into Mama’s restaurant to find them on the tables. Tonight I had to use regular sugar. A crying shame. I’ll fair better in the morning hunt.

Our shows tonight were great. These crowds really loved the shows. We were eating in the Blue Lagoon later afterwards and two girls and a guy walked in saying how great the show was. They gave the suggestion “Ice Princess” for our musical title. The guy said “you can thank us for Ice Princess.” At which point a girl slapped him hard on the back. “I didn’t say it. Mark did!” he said to her. I said (to our table) “I guess now we know who the ice princess is.”

No comments: