Monday, January 28, 2008

Day 75


012808_378
Originally uploaded by Rance Rizzutto Photography

Sea Day. Full day one with family. Today was all about really finding out how parents vacation…not all parents…just ours. It started with our usual breakfast just minutes before 10:30. It was pretty busy out in the garden so we weren’t at our usual table. After eating a while I noticed that my mom was sitting at a table by herself, so we brought her over. Shortly after that my dad showed up. I was really surprised they were up and about. They’re on Portland time which puts 10:30 to us at 7:30 to them. I guess my dad was up at 8:00am and out and about. Crazy.

They joined us until 11:15…Bingo time. And if you’ve worked on a ship and Jon from Australia was on cruise staff you know exactly how to say “bingo time.” Deanna and I headed back to the room and she called her mom…she was still in bed…on Portland time. It is very easy to keep sleeping with no window in your room.

After some chill time we went to get lunch around 1:30. We found Deanna’s mom, and then my mom and hung out out there. My dad came by in his swim suit and towel saying he had signed him and the moms up for the murder mystery tomorrow. Cheryl didn’t want to do it so he went right back to change it to two people. We hung out a long while again and talked about plans for the port days. My parents and I are going to see Mayan ruins tomorrow. Deanna is going to a beach with a bar with her mom. Grand Cayman day means snorkeling for the ladies and father/son car rental photo excursion (not through the ship…our own creation) for the men. Those plans are pretty solid.

The next time we met was at 7:00 for the VIP party. This thing was PACKED. Normally the VIP party is a chance for the people in the spendy suites to meet the captain, officers, and some crew…we (second city) attend these because they like having us there and we don’t mind. Guests of crew are also invited to these parties and I think there were a lot of those. Alex, the concierge, has been fantastic to our parents. They got little sandwiches in their room yesterday, chocolate strawberries from the captain today, who knows what comes tomorrow.
Charlotte’s birthday was today. We all met at Tsar’s Palace to eat. It was a little busy and we made it out of there to catch most of Band on the Run, but missed the beginning.
Now I’m sitting in bed early hoping I’ll fall asleep. C’mon sleep, let’s do this!
Oh wait, when I tried to explain “freestyle cruising” to my mom I said it means do whatever you want…you could even punch a kid. She remembers that when ever she wonders if she should be doing something.

No comments: