Thursday, January 17, 2008

Day 64

Sea Day. I spent a majority of today in my cabin. Got to show Massimo, Alesia, and later, David, the photos I took of them practicing on the silks.

I pretty much worked out, ate, and then watched about 3 hours of documentary/special features on the Band of Brothers DVDs. I finished the series. It made me want to know more about my dad’s experience in Vietnam, and my grandfathers’ in WWI or II (not sure who was in what).

Other than that I sorted through photos, ate, did a couple improv shows…usual. Deanna…and this is for those who know her on an improv level…had some great misspoken stuff. In Sing It she said “go pack up all your wees and woas cause were moving to the land of prosterity.” That whole line became her Sing It line. And no, not “prosperity”…prosterity. In the middle of her song she tried to make some reference to George Bush and how prosterity is an actual word to him…but she said “George Bish”. I was lovin’ it (ba dap bap ba ba).

I let Deanna open her presents today. I got her a camera case, because she has been toting her camera around in a sock, and something she has been talking about but didn’t expect. RosettaStone: Italian. It is a program for learning language. She has been thinking about getting it since she went to Italy. I figured I would get it for her while we were on the boat and could practice with Massimo. The only problem is it is now 2:31am. This thing comes with a mic and headset so you can hear audio and say words. Now she is sitting next to me saying things like “una bambino” over and over. The system is actually very good. It uses audio, pictures, and written words to teach. What it DOESN’T use is translation. You are left to your intuition. It is great. It’s like learning from scratch when you’re a kid. You don’t translate “apple” from the previous word you knew for apple…you translate “apple” from that red thing I always eat, but not that other red thing that is a tomato. Oh, I just lucked out…she has moved on to the typing part. Nevermind…”Buon giorno…un panino…del pane” which I think is “hello…the sandwich…the bread.”

No comments: