Sunday, February 17, 2008

Day 95

Samana. We went on a whale watch today…or as Deanna calls it, a whale wait. It was rough seas, but not super bad. All of us were on this one. There were two levels and maybe 30 people. We lucked out and got on the top level. After a long time we finally saw one whale and headed towards it. It was playing and breaching and having a blast…until we got up to it. Then it would come up for air and go back down.

An ongoing joke with us was that one of us would go down to use the restroom so that the whale would come out. Someone always had to miss the whale. After a while I figured I would bite the bullet and attempt to get the whale out by going to the restroom. I got down there and someone was in the restroom. So, I waited and looked around. There was a lady waiting by me who had just asked for some Dramamine. People on the lower deck looked awful. I saw an older lady with a full barf bag and asking for another while shaking her head as if to say “well, you better get me another one…there is more coming.” I turned away from her just in time to see a 6 year old boy puke on his chair. He didn’t heave or anything, just a steady stream falling out of his mouth. It looked like a soft-serve ice cream machine. I quickly turned away from that. The Dramamine lady and I looked at each other for a few seconds and then started giggling. I didn’t even go to the bathroom, I just went back up top to tell the story. “It is a nightmare down there everyone.” I couldn’t say much because the story was making people queezy.

It gets better. They started playing a recording of a whale song. It was very repetitive. After about a minute of one repetitive part it switched to something like this…high pitched sound, sound similar to someone puking, high pitched sound, sound similar to someone puking. This repeated for awhile and had us and others up top laughing.

I only got a few shots…they were ok. Between the rockiness of the boat and spray hitting my lens it was difficult.

Tonight was one of two new acts on the ship. A comedian. I can’t remember his name. It was more jokes and impressions that really appealed more to a 50+ crowd. So, for me it wasn’t the best…for the older people sitting around us it was a regular laugh riot.

No comments: