Monday, February 04, 2008

Day 82


020408_002
Originally uploaded by Rance Rizzutto Photography
Tortola. I feel terrible saying this…especially for anyone in Chicago who might be reading this. We’re getting beached-out. Today we basically went to town to use free internet in the one place we know of that has it. Word has gotten around the ship…at least around the JARs. I think we had Deanna, myself, Andy, Jen, Larrance, Christopher, Jon Paul, Candy, Keeva, Stevie, and Tim there…and Star (youth counselor)…maybe a couple others. I took a picture. We basically keep this place busy when we’re there.

I left early from there to head back to the ship. Earlier Jen had warned us that they would be testing the electricity and that we should unplug anything valuable. I got back on the ship just in time to hear an announcement that all power would be shut off in 5 minutes to test the emergency power. I then watched people get on the elevators. I thought to myself “You guys are idiots! You’re going to get stuck on the elevator!” I then walked to the buffet…closed. Then to the pool deck for burgers…closed. So I went to my room. Then I went into the bathroom. Right as I lifted the toilet seat…power outage. It was pitch black in there. I guess the only thing worse would have been if I was in the middle of going to the bathroom. I walked out to see all the hallways with their emergency lighting on. Exciting.

Later on in the day we had rehearsal and then shows. The first show was by far the most exciting yet. I start the show. I’m the first person on stage who talks and I’m by myself (Andy is technically the first to talk, but from backstage with a “welcome to the show” greeting). I go out there…my mic is off. So I’m basically shouting my lines hoping the acoustics will at least work. It is a short scene. Then there is a short scene that I’m not in. During this the tech, Alex, was frantically testing things to get my mic working. It ended up that the connection was unscrewed. We also switched mic packs. By the time it was fixed I had missed one scene that I was in, but luckily it was just as a background body and probably the best thing for me to miss. We got it plugged in and working and on my belt with just enough time to hide the cord in my jacket before I had to go back out. It was four or five more scenes before I had a chance to actually hide the cord right. In the end it all worked out. Sure pumped the adrenalin though. This is the second time this has happened to me, but the first time it happened right from the start. These mics we use are nice and lightweight…but very fragile.

Other than that it was eating and all that other stuff. Tomorrow is SUPER TUESDAY in the states. We’re watching via CNN…Europe CNN. A decent amount of coverage and then a little “email us with questions and we’ll try to help you make sense of American politics” interjection.

No comments: