Monday, March 03, 2008

Day 110



Originally uploaded by Rance Rizzutto Photography
Tortola. This is a day I’ve been looking forward too, ESPECIALLY since I didn’t get off the ship in Miami. In Miami I normally go to the Holiday Inn to use WiFi and go to an ATM for cash. That didn’t happen, but it is something that CAN happen in Tortola. Cash and internet.

So…I get off the ship with everybody and walk them to a cab (they all went to the beach). As I started walking I saw Keelan and Charlotte walking back towards the ship. I knew they were going to the internet café so I asked how it went. Everything in town is closed…mostly. Everything I needed was closed. We found a few shops that were open, just not the ones we needed. As I was talking to Keelan and Charlotte, Alesia walked up from the ship. I still needed to go to an ATM so I figured I would do that and go see if I could at least sit on the steps outside the café and get a signal. Our usual ATM…not giving cash. But you don’t find out until you go through the whole process. Fine, we carry on to the Café. We get there…no signal. The bookstore downstairs is open, but not the upstairs or the signal. Alesia and I hunt other places.

We stopped by another ATM…same deal. No cash, but you don’t find out until you go through the process. And it wasn’t just my card. I watched other people not get cash too. We found a restaurant that was open and part of a hotel. THEY HAD INTERNET! We went to the reception desk to get the password. No one was there. Then a guy came in through the front door and asked what we wanted. I said, “Hi. We are going to the restaurant and they told us to come here for the WiFi password.” “Are you going to eat?” he says. We said yes and he went back through the front door and then showed up behind the desk. “Are you sure you’re going to eat?” he asks. “Yes. What do you recommend?” And he replies, “I don’t know. I don’t eat.” What?! Anyway. He gives us the password. Alesia and I are getting excited that we found a place that was not only open, but they had WiFi AND we had the password! We sat down and it wasn’t connecting. It wasn’t even taking us to an option to type in a password.

I managed to check my email. I connected to a server that was as slow as the ship, but free. That wasn’t good though. Our waitress never came to us again to take an order so we didn’t feel like we needed to stay. We were outta there. Bianca showed up right as we were leaving and left with us when she heard the WiFi wasn’t working. We stopped by another internet place that charged, but they didn’t have WiFi. Boo. I stopped by one more ATM…same story. And back on the ship we went.

It was a bank holiday or something like that. At least tomorrow is Anitgua. When Antigua shuts down for a holiday, at least the WiFi still flows freely at Coast.

Everyone else came back right before the boat left…RIGHT before. Well, within the time they were supposed to be back. Later at night we played cards. Pig and BS.

Oh, I weighed myself while the ship was in port and steady. 192.5. After all is said and done, after all the eating, I lost weight. Down eight pounds from when we first arrived. I at least still have some muscle and strength. I went to the gym and tried working out. I haven’t been able to eat as much as I was so I didn’t have as much energy, but it was good to at least work out a little.

No comments: