Friday, March 21, 2008

Spring is Here....What a delight...


032108_4
Originally uploaded by Rance Rizzutto Photography

So, a little joke Deanna and I would always say on the boat...Somehow or another the terrible Chicago winter would get brought up and the fact that we're in the Caribbean. We'd joke that we wouldn't miss the winter...because it lasts forever in Chicago.

The very first time I visited the city was in April...it was snowing. Granted, it was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen, but it was April and it was snowing.

Well, yesterday was the first day of Spring and there were winter storm warnings and watches. Our county was on Winter Storm Watch...that meant it could have missed us. Then it went to warning for everyone. The forecast said it would happen late...around midnight. I went to bed at 2am and there was nothing. Sure enough we woke up to less than an inch of snow and the roads weren't that effected at all. That was around 10am. The picture is from 1:40 and the video is from about 2:05. It is coming down now and building up. On the roads and everything.

As much I my ship trip actually got me used to the heat, and as much as I said "I like cold better than heat...you can always put on more clothes, right?", and as much as I'm sitting here with frozen feet...I love it. The snow is pretty. I love snows. I could get killed for saying that out loud around someone who has been here the whole winter, so it must remain safely in my blog.

Deanna's first year in Chicago we had a gig together. It is something Marshall Fields/Macy's used to do called Bunny Breakfast. Basically kids and their families bought tickets to show up early to eat breakfast at a MF/M store. During the breakfast two colorful characters of some sort would come out and greet them with their good friend the Easter Bunny...and then go away. After the food was all finished the two colorful characters would come back out, put on some sort of skit, and welcome back the Easter Bunny who would then have kids on his lap for pictures. I say colorful characters because they would change from year to year. This particular year it was pretty standard...it was the Easter Bunny and his two common Easter friends the Farmer and the Farmer's Cow (last year it was the cow as a chef, and a chicken). I was the Farmer and Deanna was the Cow. These gigs would happen on the weekends starting two weekends before Easter and ending on Easter weekend. And the winter was always around for them. I mention this whole story because the skit we had that year involved a song that I mostly remember and sing every year when it is technically Spring but you wouldn't know it:

(sung to the Looney Tunes "On With the Show" song)

Spring is here! What a Delight!
Time to swing or go fly a kite!
No more cold weather or snow in our way!
It's time to go out and play!
(kazoo break)

The third line is my favorite. Please enjoy the following videos of Deanna and I in the Spring.



No comments: