Thursday, November 06, 2008

11/6/08: Day 12: Civitevecchia (Rome)

So, here is what goes into a Rome day at the beginning…”why are we waking up at 7:00am?” Around 9:00am you get your answer. Oh! Rome!

Today in Rome was fantastic. Deanna had planned a tour for us since she was here last year. We took off at 8:00am. All of us. Even Mike. Mike was actually early and everyone else was late by one or two minutes…which was enough for Mike to feign outrage (he is always the late one).

We’ve mastered the train system by now, so we bought our tickets and hopped on a train. We took a different route out of the San Piedro stop this time that lead pretty much straight to the Vatican, and was a little more scenic. The weather was fantastic and I have some glorious photos.

Summary of locations I remember: Vatican, Castle Sant’angelo, Piazza Novaro (or something close to that name), Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, and a few things that we just came across that I don’t have the names of.

The nice thing about this time of year is that there aren’t many tourists. There are still a lot of tourists, but I guess it is CRAZY in the summer.

Some interesting things that happened along our journeys…there are people roasting chestnuts and selling them. All over. We stopped for coffee and I saw a guy roasting some and thought “I’ve never had roasted chestnuts.” It was 5 euro for a scoop of about 8 of them, so I bought some and we all tried them. I don’t think it is something I’m anxious to eat again, but glad I tried it.

The real fun zinger of the day was when Jen and Brett stopped for gelato. Brett got a cone for 4 or 5 euro. Jen asked for a scoop but on a different cone. The guy said it is a little more money and she said ok. He put some cream in the cone, put the gelato on the cone, added little edible cones and doodads including a little umbrella and sparkly pom pom stick. He hands the cone to Jen. “That will be 15 euro.” FOR A CONE OF ICE CREAM! She was blown away and had to have Deanna go get Larrance because he had her money and had only given her 10 to cover gelato. She said it was worth it.

We had our improv show tonight and in the first game I asked for a suggestion by saying “Jen spent 15 euro on a cone of gelato today. What is something you could buy for 15 euro?” Jen laughed and said something along the lines of “hey!” I heard someone say something from the back but didn’t understand. “What was that?” I asked. “We paid 15 euro for gelato too!” Jen found a friend.

Tomorrow, Pisa?

1 comment:

Tno said...

Interesting about the roasted chestnuts as I just saw the same thing in Vienna (not EVERYWHERE though)- my mom said that was something her family used to do all the time when she was young so she thought it was an Italian thing...
Maybe the Italians brought it to Austria?