Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Sunrise...the film version (35mm, not a movie)

Below are the pictures I took on film of the sunrise. When I checked my film at around 1:30am I realized I had 3 options:
1) Slide Film
2) Black and White
3) 3200 speed color (I would have to shoot very fast shots...this stuff is for shooting in dark settings)

I went with slide film/cross-processed. Slides are only used in movie theaters pre-movie (maybe a few other places). When they are developed it causes the positive image to show up right on the film instead of the negative image like regular film...that's what it's designed for and it uses different chemicals than the developing of regular 35mm film. Slides use "E-6", standard uses "C-41".

BUT! You can cross-process slide film for a special effect. If you develop slide film as regular (C-41 instead of E-6) it creates a negative, but the colors won't be quite correct when prints are made. That's what I've done with the following pics. Cross-processing tends to lean heavily towards one color (one time I did it and blue was the strong color...another time green)...this time it was yellow.

This is one of the best photos I got from the 2 rolls, and it still could be better. It was a little misty up on the mountain at this point...just a little. That's Bar Harbor down in the left hand corner. A lot of the sky at the top of the photo was actually blue. THAT'S THE MAGIC OF CROSS PROCESSING!

Here's the sun as it just started to peak over the edge of the horizon. It's in the red circle labeled "SUN"...which I added to the photo...that label doesn't mysteriously appear in the sky to let you know the sunrise is starting. The picture is slightly hazy, but the weather isn't...more on that in a few.

Here's the sun all the way up and a little more hazy.

And finally the last and most haziest shot. See...I mentioned in the last blogs how I was tired and didn't think to check the level of mist on the lens...this is the effect. If all the other parts of your camera have condensation on them, chances are the lens does too. Now you know and knowing is half the battle.

Tomorrow: pics of Sunset; the story of Kayaking; and if we're lucky, the baby pigeons!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Though hazy, (as you mentioned), still good shots. I'm glad you got to experience that. And thanks for the diagram.

-declan