Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Chicago, I am back.

Just as Canada wept at our departure, Chicago wept with joy at our return. And Chicago wept HARD.

But I have jumped ahead. We left London, ON around 10:00 with 411-421 miles remaining. We made very good time on the freeway. Then we hit customs.


The bridge to Michigan went from one lane into 5 for customs...as you can see above. Deanna pointed out a lane that we jumped into. YES!...then no. That was when we realized we were now in a solid line, and we watched all the other cars fan off from one line (that we were in) into the remaining four. We were in the slow lane.

Once we finally got up there it was not as easy to get out as it was to get in. The guy asked where we were from, and paused after every reply for what seemed like too long. IDs, where we came from, how long we were in Maine, why we were there for so long...and then my favorite. "Can I see your left hand, sir?" I didn't know why at first, but it was because he had our IDs and saw we lived at the same address. Good thing Deanna was wearing her ring. He asked when the date of the wedding was and we said we hadn't decided...probably winter, but that just matched our standard 4 months from now bit.

I guess it was really hot while we were away, but it started pouring down rain as we got closer to town. Very wet. Not necessarily what I would call "ideal unpacking conditions".

We waited a while for the rain to die down, and it didn't. So we unpacked.

Windows open, fans on. I learned how to use my new camera. I ordered it while I was in Maine and it was delivered here. It is awesome. Purely, awesome.

I don't know how much I'll be writing in this thing from here on out. Thanks for reading this far and I'll try to keep updating.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of the whole, "Can I see your left hand, sir?" that's crazy. I'm wicked happy your home safe. Have fun in the windy city.

Anonymous said...

(declan)