Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Deathly Situations

I've been interested in the art used on tombstones ever since learning about it in Anthropology. Not only does the art work have symbolism, but you can date stones by artwork trends...especially back far enough to the point where people might be able to do art work on stone, but it didn't mean they were literate.

There are many cemetaries around here, and I decided I'd use my last day off to explore. About half of the cemetaries I went to were small family plots...like the Higgins, Jordan, and Freemans. We have a map of the island, and there were many places labeled "Cem". They varied in size from about 100 stones to one area I found in the woods with only two stones (that one was creepy).

I played around with this one in PhotoShop, but only to make the reflection color and everything else Black and White. I zoomed in on the globe and I have no idea where I am in the reflection.



This one was from the Deacon Oliver cemetary. It was in the woods off a small road and the sun was shining only on Alfonso.

Deanna and I had the same day off. I dropped her off to do some hiking while I was grave hunting. I took a road called Seal Cove Rd that ended up going straight through Acadia Park...mostly a dirt road.



Check out the sign...here's where the road got a whole lot sexier.

Somewhere in the middle of driving on this road my cell service kicked back in and I had three messages from Deanna. She had hiked to the top of the tallest mountain on the island...the one we saw the sunrise from. From there she took another trail then decided to take a trail to bubble pond.

I drove to bubble pond and went to meet her on the trail. The trail went almost immediately from serene bridges crossing trickling streams to this:



I don't think this picture captures the "uphillness" of the climb. I was holding a camera in one hand and a water in the other, and I had to put them away to climb up. Don't you get it?! I'm tall! I had to use my hands to climb! Anywho...

I climbed up until I could get a signal...then got through to Deanna. She wasn't on this trail, she said. So I went to wait at the car. Turns out she WAS on the trail! She said it was very scary...and I looked at it through the eyes of a short person and agreed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you've got mad photo skillz, i have no doubt in your future of photography.

-declan