Thursday, July 07, 2005

Nature, Ho!

Deanna and I went for a bike ride along Carriage Trails. They were built by Rockefeller so he could, well, ride carriages around the island. They are well maintained and cover a lot of the island. I saw some cool things on that ride.
Fairly early in the ride Deanna said "Hey, look at those mushrooms!" So, I shot a roll of film on them. She wasn't expecting me to shoot a whole roll, but they were cool. I think they were poisonous though. An old lady came up to us and said they were edible. She showed us by eating one...then she exploded!
Later on we stopped by a pond/lake and I found this Dragonfly sunning on a rock. There were a few Dragonflies frolicking about. As I took a picture of this Dragonfly I heard a humming sound in the distance. It got louder and louder and louder. This Dragonfly and I sprung up to see what was going on. It was a swarm of Dragonflies coming back with pieces of the old lady that ate the mushroom! They were all taking the pieces into the nest for eating. This Dragonfly wanted to go eat and took off, but stopped mid-air to look back at me as if to invite me to dinner. I declined. We will always be friends though. Dragonflies eating exploded old ladies is just a part of the Circle of Life.
This is one of two turtles trying to make a break for it across the Carriage Trail. When they hear Dragonflies they can go pretty fast.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Poor old lady. Dragon flies gotta eat, even if it is old ladies.

-declan