Monday, July 11, 2005

Ever seen a Pigeon puke?

I have. And I'll be damned if that pesky camera wasn't sitting on the desk at home. There is a covering on the deck at the theater. Everywhere along the beams are those spikes that are supposed to keep pigeons off things. It works pretty well, but one little piece fell off. In that one space is a pigeon nest. We've been watching it all summer and a few days ago we were able to see the chicks peeking up. It was a first for me to see a pigeon chick...let alone two.

Well, today, the mom comes swooping in and lands on the lamp. Totally ignoring the spikes on the lamp, and then flys to the nest. The chicks start chirping and pecking at the mom's mouth. I've seen footage of baby sparrows or robins where the mom pukes up food into the baby's mouths. With the pigeon, the baby puts it's beak inside the mom's and the mom start's heaving. I can do a pretty accurate impersonation in person if anyone is interested.

Tomorrow I will try to remember to get a picture. It's my day off and I'm waking up at 3:45 AM to go see the sunrise from the top of a mountain.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have not seen a pigeon puke. But, I hope i do someday. It sounds like fun.

-declan