Sunday, July 17, 2005

No...We're Still Alive

I know you've heard all the rumors, but I managed to save our lives.

Deanna and I waited until the theater was all the way closed so we could give Larrance a ride home. It was Jen's day off and she took the car.

We're driving home. We're talking about netflix.com, and what movies to check out. Larrance asks Deanna if she put "Sherman's March" in the queue. I ask about it an as Larrance is explaining, I save everyone's lives. Details...

The car behind me is starting to ride me a little so I speed up. I have a habit of staring at the headlights of oncoming cars to determine if their brights are on and whether or not to flash mine at them. I'm staring at the car and I see something big and brown right in front of it...a moose. A HUGE moose. I would be looking up to look it in the eye if I were standing. I have seconds to react. The moose is fully in the other lane and about to cross into ours. It's in ours. I swerve hard to the right and then back into the lane. I see the car behind me lock up the brakes. Moose unharmed.

We were within inches of this thing. It was awesome. I felt like I was a driver in a car commercial avoiding that child running after his playground ball...or dodging that mountain bike that just slid off the cliff above me. The cool thing was that I kept my cool and never got an adrenaline rush. Larrance and Deanna were very...well..."WHOA!", and I wanted to hear more about "Sherman's March."

It hit me later how huge this thing was...and how screwed we could have been. It's as if I had some Felix Felicis before the drive.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! So glad for your skills and calmness. Now, what is 'Felix Felicis'?

Noticed that you saw a horseshoe crab, and Deanna saw horseshoe crap. I've never seen either one. What a time you're having.
TTFN - mR/BM

Anonymous said...

You saw a moose? I've lived in Maine my whole life, and I've only seen one! Thank god for designated drivers.

-declan