Monday, December 22, 2008

12/22/08: Day 58: Port Canaveral

I’ve had that shoulder pain for a while that it kind of connected to my spine…from back in November. In Cape Canaveral I had a chiropractor appointment. I found a place on line that looked close to the ship and had a coupon for free xrays ($180), which meant the adjustment would be $35. Not bad! I just figured I would take a quick cab there and back. I got off the ship around 1:00 and asked a taxi how much it would be. She said about $45. What?! It was 7 miles away. $45?! I asked another taxi and she was nice and we drove. When we got there the meter said $39.75. Yikes!

I went in, got xrays, got adjusted. He couldn’t get the main area to pop but he got my neck pretty good and I feel a little better. Shoulder still hurts though. Boo.

Instead of taking a cab back I started walking the 2.5 miles to where I knew the shuttle picked up. As I was walking I noticed a guy waiting for a trolley and looked into it. $1.25. That’s it! And it would have gone very close to the port. I only needed to get to the Cocoa Beach 7-11 right next to the Adult Emporium. That is where the shuttle stops…so I thought. It was a little chillier that normal…about 55 degrees. It’s no Chicago situation, but cold for going to the beach. Apparently when that happens the shuttle goes elsewhere. I waited for about 45 minutes before just taking a cab to the mall. Twelve dollars.

Once I got there I saw Brett and Deanna waiting to take the shuttle to Wal-mart. I went in for coffee and internet. But already I was thinking about needing to get back in time for our shows.

I went to Wal-mart with Deanna (who came in briefly because the shuttle was packed) and the comedian Peter Sasso in a cab. Deanna was telling me a story about something that had happened while I was at the chiropractor. Mid story our driver both turned on the radio AND started a loud conversation on her cell phone. Classic.

From there I had to pay $7 to get the shuttle back to the port. Next week I’ll take the free shuttle from the port to Hertz and catch the trolley from there. $1.25 each way. $2.50

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ah, you got ripped off by the Port Canaveral taxicabs just as I did.

They do *claim* flat rates (as in, $5 pp from hotels to cruise ships), but rates go at an insane 1.5/first 1/9 mile, .25 each additional 1/9 mile (or 1/2 min). The past cruise I took a taxi to/back for kayaking ~6 miles away, and that cost me $51--they're more than happy to take the additional+unnecessary 2.5 mile loop-around-the-port to get to the ship. The kayaking itself cost me just $52 for two people...

Think the catch is to negotiate a flat rate with them, or just take the trolleys...Florida taxicabs are notoriously expensive.