Monday, September 18, 2006

Meanwhile...in Chicago...

David sent me this. It's a picture of the side of the CCPA on Chicago and Halsted...that's me on that 14ft tall poster...or maybe 40ft. They both sound alike. If you're in Chicago and see it, please post with the height.

Back in Maine...

Deanna is still suffering from her cold. I still don't have it. Katie posted her second joke in a comment in the last post, so see that there.

Tonight was our second night with just the three of us. It's fun. AND we're working our asses off. If I'm not an improv powerhouse when I get back to Chicago then I'll focus on photography. It's hard NOT to get good at improv when you do it 6 days a week.

Today after we warmed up, and before the first show we watched an older lady try to park a car that was perfectly parked for about 5 minutes. She had it. The car was set. But for some reason she kept backing up and going forward...trying to get closer and closer to the curb. Her husband or man-partner even got out to help her. From our vantage point we could easily tell she was already closer to the curb than the cars in front and in back of her. It drove me crazy to watch.

In our 8:00 show I had to get a suggestion of a saying on a bumper sticker. A couple from Yorkshire, England said, "Gruhdub, blantehmehn." I naturally replied, "huh?" The guy repeated it the same, then his wife helped him by...repeating it the same. Jen understood a little better...enough to get me to figure it out: "Grow dope, plant a man."

We've added long form into the second half...something we hadn't been doing for the first couple of weeks. Double fun on those.

When you host a show here you're responsible for the opening spiel and the closing spiel. Part of the closing spiel is reminding everyone to tip the server/bartender. I always say "Let's give a hand to Porche your server! She appreciates your applause but more than that she appreciates your gratuity. She uses her tip money for crazy things like food and rent (every host ever uses this)...and, if you're visiting from out of town, standard gratuity in the states is 75%." That last part kills...but that isn't why I write. Porche said the couple from England (a country well known for lack of tipping) gave her a 70% tip! I got 'em!

Tomorrow is the first full day off. Everyone normally rotates the day they get off (except Larrance who gets 7/4 as his one day off). Now that the season is slowing, and we have three performers, Tuesday is a day off for everyone. This means we all get to spend time with each other instead of one person waiting at home for everyone to return. Larrance is flying out early to visit his mother. Jen, Deanna and I are going to a city I can't remember the name of because we've been saying we're going to Brunswick as a bit. Basically it's a hip little town with a foot bridge, a game store, and a co-op. Those are the parts I remember.

Right now, for some reason, it smells like cat food.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The sign will be 40 feet tall.. it's a tall building.

Sammy said...

It looks like you're about to fight the giant red X.

Good luck with that.

tara d. said...

this pisses me off! we all made a pact we wouldn't tell you it was there so you'd be surprised when you came back.

it's 14 feet of you without the other part... but per usual, you are larger than life. loooove you!