Friday, September 01, 2006

Almost there...

Day 3: We took off from Newark and struggled through the arduous (I can only assume that is the correct spelling) 40 trek to Philadelphia. We didn't have a lot of plans for what we wanted to see. Liberty Bell, Independence Hall...that's about it. We ended up also seeing Ben Franklin's grave. I think there were some other famous people buried there, but I won't remember until I see the pictures again.

I've always been fascinated with graves. Especially after taking an Anthropology/Archaeology class in College and learning about how grave art could be used to determine the age of the stone. I went to a lot of old graveyards in Maine last year...the one in Philadelphia was the oldest yet. There were a lot of markers that were unrecognizeable due to weather and wear.

We then went to eat at a place called "Benny's"...the sign had what looked like an older lesbian woman with a chef's hat...it was actually Ben Franklin in a chef's hat...thus, 'Benny's'.

We then left to make 340 miles to Boston...more specifically, Peabody. We were cruising along nicely until we got to New York. With just 7 miles to go on I-95 until we switched to another freeway, there was a delay crossing the George Washington Bridge...the sign said 1 hour. This is where I'd like to give another shout out to Microsoft Streets & Trips. A map program for our laptop that came with a GPS tracker. Using this software I found a short cut that trimmed about 5 miles and 50 minutes off the delay. I proclaimed myself "Hero of the Day."

We made it through the ritzy Connecticut SR-15 where all on ramps had stop signs. and there was even a strange looking tree...that was actually a cell signal tower painted brown with fake pine branches attached to disguise it.

Day 4: We made it to Peabody, MA last night and had an Italian meal next to the hotel. Today we headed into the city (Boston) and toured it up. We walked the 2.5 mile "Freedom Trail" (google it) and learned a lot. Saw more famous graves, and even older ones...including the ones of Samuel Adams, Mother Goose, Paul Revere (who never yelled "The British are coming!" but "The regulars are [something I forget]!" There was a guy walking down the street shouting at people...a little crazy. Things I remember him yelling: "Look at you and your beautiful families!" and "I bet you think I can't read your minds!"

The trail ended past Bunker Hill by the USS Constitution and we hopped on a trolley that took us to see a lot more.

We at the Green Dragon pub. One of the oldest pubs in Boston (since 1643 or something...the Bell in Hand is older). Then walked to Little Italy and saw my buddy Michael in an Improv Asylum show. He was great...as was Sara Maher (who I don't know well and probably butchered her name) who just moved here.

Right now we're watching "The Devil Wears Prada." I made fun of Deanna for ordering it in the room, but I'm getting distracted.

Tomorrow we go to a witch house, then to Maine!

No comments: