Saturday, January 31, 2009

1/31/09: Day 98: St. Maarten/St. Martin

Today…was…great!

The whole cast met at 11:30 to head to a beach. Jen had read up on beaches and we decided on Mullet Bay…mostly because of the name. Her whole description of it sounded good until she said “it is supposed to be one of the most beautiful beaches.” That is always a red flag for me. Beautiful beaches, especially publicized beautiful beaches, tend to be packed with people, boring, or both. Cases in point: Marigot Bay (I forget which island) and Magens Bay St. Thomas. So, I was leery about this beach from the get-go.

We hoped in a cab and they put 6 other people inside with us. Strong New York accents, and the matriarch of the group kept asking dumb questions (“How much is a can of soda?” 75 cents in stores. “No, on the beach”) or saying little things to fill the air with sound. It was everything I could do to stop Deanna from impersonating the lady right then and there.

Once we got there and separated from our taxi partners it was great. I gave it a 3-S on my 4-S beach ranking system. It was only lacking in Snorkeling of the 4 S’s. The four S’s are Sand, Snorkeling, Surf, and Boobs. And like I said, it didn’t have snorkeling. That’s right…this beach was on the French side of the island and women think tops are stupid there. Fine by me, friends. One of the funniest things we saw was a topless women trying to get out of the water who just kept get hit by enough wave to fall over.

We played in the waves mostly. I think a lot of us got a dose of sun…Brett’s face is all red again. And then caught a cab back…with the same people.

The sand got everywhere. This I knew and got into the shower in our room before taking my suit off. I have a swim suit with no mesh inside so I bought a speedo that I wear underneath. That speedo had AT LEAST 4 tablespoons of sand in it. It was insane.

Later on Brett, Ryan, Deanna and I went bowling. Four games. Brett had a blister show up on his finger in game three and pop in game four. Watching him sanitize his hands afterwards was funny in an AFV way. Stingy (like “It stung” not “he saved money”)!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

salt? or sand. - j.c.