Wednesday, January 21, 2009

1/21/09: Day 88: Tortola Pt.2

As the day went on I thought of some things I forgot to mention. First off, how many milligrams of caffeine are in a can of Coke or Pepsi? The BCAA (branched chain amino acids) doses I’ve been taking also include 200mg of caffeine. On a workout day that’s 3 doses and I’m bouncing off the walls. Usually on the ship I have one cup of coffee in the morning (“time that I first wake up and go to get food”). So, I’m not as tolerant to caffeine as I was back in my two super big gulps a day days.

Speaking of caffeine resistance…Jane had her late show tonight in Spinaker. I already managed to take a 20 minute nap around 8:00pm. I decided to order a rootbeer assuming it would be the Bravo rootbeer they usually have. Nope, Barq’s (with bite…aka caffeine). So even though I got up early I’m still doing stuff at 2:35am.

Rance, what are you doing?

Well, I watched a couple episodes of Boston Legal, which is Deanna’s new favorite show and I’m about a season behind her now. I also don’t know my presidents very well, so I downloaded pics of all the US Presidents and will attempt to memorize them as something to do on sea days. Also, I’m listening to an album Brett gave me by a group called Girl Talk. It isn’t really a group so much as someone who had mixed a lot of rap songs together with popular songs. Super upbeat and good for working out.

In other news, we’ve had just a couple run ins with the teens in the past few days. Deanna gets the worst of it because she’ll actually stop to talk instead of using the patented “keep walking by as you speak pleasantries” method so you don’t get trapped in a weird conversation. Some of the things she has heard from them…”tell me a joke!” and from Ashleigh “I love you guys! Will you remember me when I leave or will someone else take my place?” Yikes! They all know me by name…to my misfortune. We saw them on the stairs (because all…ALL teens on the cruises end up hanging out on stairs) and they got all excited when they saw me. “Your name is Rance right?! Do you know what Rance means? Do you rance? Do you rance? Have you ever ranced?!” Rather than play I simply said “What do you think ‘rance’ means?” “It’s another word for ‘smoking weed.’ …My dad told me!” So, because they think ‘rance’ means ‘smoking weed’ they all say hi. During Jane’s show tonight they all walked by and said “Hey Rance!” and did their attempt at a cool handshake with me.

On the way back to our rooms we rode the elevator with an elderly woman. She smiled gently at us and then shivered. I said, “Chilly night, ma’am?” and offered her my coat. She said, “you are so generous!” I walked her to her cabin whilest we shared stories of favorite vacation spots and hilarious things that pets do. Once we got to her cabin she asked if I wanted to come in and tell more stories. Rather than just telling her that I wasn’t allowed to go in passenger cabins I told her I would be reading stories to children the next morning and needed to prepare puppets. She smiled a genuine and understanding smile, handed me my jacket, and patted my hand. Also, this entire paragraph was made up for Jeanie’s sake.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

a 12oz can of pepsi has 38mg caffeine. A 250mg tablet of excedrin has 65mg. now back to reading your blog. - jc

Anonymous said...

now that i've finished reading this blog entry...you've really had high doses of caffeine - and it shows! -jc

ps-we didn't know your name meant that.