Sunday, February 01, 2009

2/1/09: Day 99: Tortola

Today was Tortola and our all-aboard time was 12:00pm. Also, my exact wake-up time was 12:00pm. So, I didn’t see much.

I DID spend the day learning languages and working out though. So there is that.

The REAL action started at night. Super Bowl could be seen pretty much anywhere on the ship except our rooms. Ruslan, the bass player, is on his last cruise and Deanna organized a dinner for him…tonight…during the super bowl. It seems like a crappy time, but it was also the best time to eat at restaurants because a majority of people were watching the game. We ate at the Mexican restaurant which is right in the crystal atrium. The game was on in there and it was loud. I was sitting at a table with people I couldn’t hear anyway so I went closer to the game to watch until our food arrived. I missed the interception at the end of the first half. But I caught everything else.

I watched the game from the Great Outdoors after dinner and Deanna joined me after watching the ventriloquist show. I hope the ventriloquist comes back because I haven’t seen him before and I wasn’t about to miss the game. I was rooting for the Steelers…mostly because they are Rene’s team…but also because Palumalu is a bad ass.

It was a great game. The only downfall was that we were getting it through ESPN and only got to see crappy ESPN commercials during the breaks.

Our improv show was immediately after the game, so 11:30 for us. The crowd was small and the cardinal fans were crushed. I intro’d the show and came up with a line that got a good reaction and helped washed the dreary slate a little for the fans of the losers. They didn’t really react to one of the first patented audience “energy testers” so I said they must all be Cardinal fans. Too which some people said “no” and applauded that their team won. My line…”Well, we’re all from Chicago. If the Bears aren’t in it it is pretty much just a Springstein concert to us.” Zing. It was a nice change of pace to have Ryan improvising with us.

In other news, the next two days should be interesting. All of that winter storm stuff that has been happening…Miami even getting cold…I think it is heading straight out to sea. Decks 8 and below have had to close their portholes and there is the possibility of 30-50 foot waves. Granted, this was heard through the grapevine, but it is getting rockier and rockier. Keep posted!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

a cliff hanger!

Tony Rizzutto said...

All your PA uncles worked in the steel mill so I would hope you are a Steeler in memory of them. Uncle Lou of Pittsburgh is your last uncle. It was a great game and I rooted for the Steelers. Won't see a 100yd run probably ever again.