Sunday, October 19, 2008

Math

I've been trying to take a nice little chunk out of each day to work on lines. I really don't have all that many lines to memorize when it comes down to it. Our show is on a ship traveling through Europe...so English may still be a majority language from time to time on the ship, but if so...barely. Thus, our running order is more on the side of music and physicality.

I've found that memorization is easier with breaks. If I work on lines a little each day for a week before rehearsals I have the advantage of sleeping at night each day. Every night I sleep after working on lines makes them stick. A much better technique than working on them all day Tuesday (the day before rehearsals). Just like cramming for a test I guess. Sure, you'll remember the answers for the quiz the next day...but what about the next week and the next?

While I was working on lines I started trying to memorize the running order. Sometimes when you're out on stage you don't get the luxury of getting to go backstage to look at a running order and see what is next. I think I'm out for 3 or 4 in a row at one point...which is pretty common. As I was doing this I noticed that I was in a lot...of the 17 things we're doing, I'm not in 4. That's awesome. I also realized that that won't necessarily mean I'm in a majority of the show. Of our 45-50 minute show I'm already guaranteed to not be in 7-10 of those minutes (the Pictionary sketch). So, time-wise it probably works out evenly between everybody.

This time around Deanna and I are doing two contracts in a row for sure. Hopefully more if we're not burnt by then. Strangely, this has become the trend. It used to be the people doing the boats would do one and then there would be a big window of time in between them going on another...OR...it would be one person going for a year straight with some plan in mind of paying off bills and moving to LA or NY.

The current cast on the Gem all resigned on for a second contract (so they have been on 8 months and we're coming to take over). I might be misinformed, but I believe the cast of the Dawn just did the same...at least some of them did.

I'm itching to go.

In other news, my phone is acting like an idiot. I've had to reset it (take off the back, pop out the battery, pop back in) about 5 times today. Good that I won't even be using it in Europe. Also, my laptop (specifically the DVD ROM) is acting up. We bought it when we first went to Maine, so it is getting old. I'd love to pay off some debt before gaining some.

No comments: