Monday, November 26, 2007

Day 12

Tortola, British Virgin Isles. Today was a visit to Tortola. I barely took any pics here. We tendered into town and immediately got a cab for Brewer’s Bay. It is a beach that isn’t talked about by the excursion desk, therefore, not crowded. It was a 20 minute cab ride away up and over the island. This, dear readers, was my first snorkeling adventure. This spot is a place that Jen and Larrance found last year when they were here. What did I learn? I like having my feet on the ground. There was a lot of silt, I couldn’t see much, and I found it harder than hell to relax and breath. Luckily everyone there was supportive with reassuring “yep”s. It was like this for all of them too. Deanna was fantastic in helping me ease into it. They were seeing stuff further out. We went out for a second attempt, but I wasn’t quite ready. It’s actually nice to find something that I have a fear of so that I have a point of reference for when I make progress. The hardest part, I found, was circumventing the instinct in my body. When your face is in water, breathing is bad…that is the instinct. But snorkels are used for just that…breathing.

Anyhow, we were on this beach for a couple hours. I actually started getting a tan through all the sunscreen I’ve been putting on.

I’ve been working out a lot and eating a lot (Fuel the machine!)…this leaves me tired more than usual. Add to that a day at the beach and I was wiped out.

Also, if you want a good core workout, live on a ship. The constant slight rocking…you get a good core.

Tonight we ended the day with games. Jen bought a card game called Quao (cow). To explain it is to give away too much. It is fun. Tomorrow we’re in…St. John’s, Antingua.

3 comments:

Natalie said...

I'm jealous of your itinerary. We also hit Cozumel though, just on Fridays. There's a random trailer just a little ways from the port with aweomse 2 for 1 margaritas and food. Say hi to Deanna for me!
Natalie

Tony Rizzutto said...

I don't like snorkling. always wonder what is going to grab me from under the rocks. not sure what "core" is.

goody said...

I'm so jealous! I love snorkeling! Keep trying and you'll get use to it and love it. Take off any shiny objects and don't touch the black spikey things. Ask Bland about sea urchins.