Sunday, November 25, 2007

Day 11

Samana, Dominican Republic. A little town. Jen remembered it as a town with poor children selling trinkets, shrewd bargainers with wares, and wild dogs roaming the streets. Well, there were some kids offering to sell shells. There were a couple of little markets with jewelry, art, and other stuff. There were two dogs. So, things have changed a little Jen was here last. People were indeed trying to get your attention, but they were quick to realize when you weren’t about to buy anything. A major factor could be that I’m more intimidating than Jen and I’m really good at “aloof”. Deanna and I did buy a couple paintings and one is hanging on the wall right now…via magnet hook since the walls are all metal.

I had a little moment today. If you get a chance to do a job that lets you travel, take it. I was sitting on the bed watching part of that Julia Roberts movie where she’s an art teacher in a 50’s era all girls school…you know the one. I was eating a turkey burger, watching that, and then I turned to look out the window (see pics when I get them updated) to see an island with palm trees. I had momentarily been sucked into a normally routine of TV and food that snapped me out of “I’m on a cruise” mode. Why can I see palm trees out my window? We were using our own tender boats today so we had a clear view.

Tonight we get a chance to see “guest entertainers” perform. There are entertainers like us and the JARs who are on the cruise for an extended amount of time…then there are guest performers who just perform for the cruise. Tonight will be quick change artists. They have to change complete outfits. This is the gist of it. I’ve seen a quick change act on youtube once that was pretty amazing.

Speaking of youtube, I have two videos that I’ll be getting on youtube eventually. One is the final number of the cruise, and the other is Deanna dancing with the guy on the ferry back to Cozumel. So, keep an eye out.

No comments: