Thursday, November 15, 2007

Day 1

Early start. I, of course, tried to stay up until our 4:00am cab. No dice. I took a shower around 2:00am and went to bed around 2:30. I probably got about 30 minutes of sleep. Deanna and I lugged our luggage (luggage…lugged…same root?) downstairs and had the fastest cab in Chicago pick us up. He wasn’t going super fast, but fast enough over bumps to make someone with no sleep get angry.

At the airport we discovered that the Delta counter didn’t open until 4:30am. Deanna and I were the first of our group to arrive. We waited in the line that was already forming when we saw Andy checking his luggage outside. We opted for that. Jen, Larrance, and Matt were right behind us. There was one person in front of us. At the check in there were two guys working. One guy was probably 70, the other in his early 30s. The older guy (we’ll call him Pops)came out to help us because the younger guy (we’ll call him Speedy) was helping the guy in front of us. Speedy finished helping us and moved on to Larrance, Jen and Matt. It seemed like they were all taken care of and ready to go by the time Pops was asking for our names. Frustrating. After waiting and waiting Pops finally printed out our luggage tags and then…after all that…told us two of our bags were overweight. Now, we knew this. We expected it and were told Second City would cover the cost. So I said “Yeah, that’s fine. What’s the charge?” to which he said “you gotta go inside for that.” My frustration must have been visible because Speedy said, “I’ll take care of it. I’ll get you tags.” I tipped Speedy, and paid and sort of tipped Pops. All in all I paid $15 and had to wait a lot. It costs something like $25/overweight bag so Pops saved me $35.

We got to the first leg of our flight no problem. A quick 45 minute flight to Cincinati.All we had to do was get from gate A25 to gate C20 for a flight that leaves in 30 minutes. It meant catching a shuttle…time was precious.

We made it to the gate!...to find out it was delayed until 9:15…then 9:45…then 10:30. In the midst of all this something happened. But first, a story.

Joey travels a lot for Second City Touring Company. On one of his travels he saw George Takei…Sulu from Star Trek, but most recently Hiro Nakamura’s father on Heroes. Todd, who lives downstairs from Joey, went out of town and ran into the actor who plays Mohinder Surresh on Heroes. I joked with them that I would see one too. So who did we see while waiting through delays? Tim Gunn from Project Runway. We had all been up since 4am and looked like slobs or we would have got a picture with him.

Back to the delays. Around the “delayed until 10:30” mark they also let us know that we would need to change gates. We changed to A25. Back we went.

We ended up getting to and on the ship around 3:30 or so. It was a long travel day, but for some reason, non-stressful. We’ve already started making acquaintances with people who the veterans know. We ate buffet, slept, ate buffet, walked around, saw a show…in a nutshell.

When I woke from a nap I started around 5:00 I looked out our window…Oh! We have windows. They are obstructed by life boats, but I could see enough to know it was dark out and there was a city we were moving past. PS. We have Katie and Steve/Brendan and Beth’s room. Deanna was unpacking like crazy. I wanted to get out and watch land go away. As soon as I got out on the deck I felt my first major tip…and it wasn’t that major, but enough to tip water out of the kids pool. You can feel it every once and a while as we go…and yes, I literally mean you.

Tonight we saw The JARs perform their Band on the Run dance review. It was good and what I would expect. The best part was that we got to see a show AND see the stage we would be performing on all in one sitting.

I am now in bed and can feel the waves every so often. I’m trying to type up the blogs as I go and then post when I get access…so let’s hope for the best.

1 comment:

mike said...

Band on the Run is my favorite ship show of all time. You have made my day by letting it know that it lives on on the Jewel. Glad to hear that you are having a good time...and actually maintaining a blog.