Thursday, April 23, 2009

4/23/09: Day 180: Azores, Portugal

Land! We arrived in the Azores today for our first official return to Europe…other than hearing The Final Countdown in an Arrested Development episode a couple days ago.

I’ve been learning Italian pretty hardcore, picking up a little Spanish, and putting French in Deanna’s hands since she took it in school. Well, guess which country speaks Portuguese? Luckily Deanna and I were hanging out with Cherry and Serena and Serena knows Portuguese. As we first got of the ship we weren’t sure where the main part of town was. We decided to take a cab to the center of town and if it wasn’t far we would walk back. Serena, our interpreter, went out on her first task to ask the cab driver how far away town was…I believe her exact phrasing, and I may be off on the accent, was “How far away is town?” I didn’t translate that…that was what she said. I think the only Portuguese she ended up really saying was when a passenger asked the worker in the shop where the bathroom was, and he didn’t understand.

It was a nice little town and an easy day. The one hour time changes everyday are really starting to punch us in the face. I came back and fell a sleep for two hours.

Tonight was another new act. Moscow Magic. Stacey the pianist was raving about them saying they were great. They were. They had a lot less big tricks and more slight of hand. I don’t know if they are just on for this cruise but I would see them again easily.

Tomorrow is another sea day.

Oh, Jane and JJ left today too. Boo. We got to know them really well this time around. The nice thing is that we know for sure they will be back for our last two weeks so we’ll see them again!

1 comment:

Timmy Tapeworm said...

Moscow Magic is awesome! They were on the Jade a bunch when we were. I like their show a lot. They'll probably remember Cody Dove if you want to drop that name. Have fun in Europe!