Sunday, September 14, 2008

Fists of Fury

Today has been nothing but infuriating. The complete opposite of yesterday.

We have now been getting the leftovers of Hurricane Ike. It rained all day yesterday (while Ben picked up our bed...I got soaked helping out with that but it was a fun kind of "well I'm soaked, I'll hang out here a bit because it is at least cooler than the muggy apartment." way). The kind of rain where everything starts to soak up moisture. Deanna had to print a huge script and the printer kept jamming because the paper was warping. I have these mints from Starbucks that are small and normally hard...now they're a little mushy.

Normally the cool thing about rain in Chicago is that is means an end to the humidity in the air. I can't recall being here when it has been raining and still felt gross and muggy.

So, after helping move the bed and getting soaked I decided to do our final loads of laundry. Guess what? The dryer is broken...just the heat part. Our landlord was nice enough to take our stuff over to his dryer and dry it for us. But today is still nothing but rain and I have some wet clothes that would go perfect with a dryer.

PS...that doesn't even scratch the surface on today.

So this is our final day to pack. We needed a couple bigger boxes and we had stuff to drop off to Brown Elephant (Goodwill-ish for you portlanders). I took a bunch of stuff down and put it in the trunk...no problem. I took some stools down to put in the back seat...problem.

Our passenger side (front and back) of our car has started becoming slightly damp. We could never place it. There was never any visible sign of leaking from the roof or window, and it was never a big amount. It just stinks a little and is damp. On Friday we did a remote show in Michigan...it was raining off and on. When we got out Brett's foot was all wet. I still wasn't sure whether it was water coming in from the weather or something leaking...but this lead me more towards it being water leaking in. Cut to me putting stools in the backseat. Easily one, possibly two inches of water in the front and back of the passenger side. And we found this out right before I needed to take Deanna to a script reading she was doing.

The other added bonus of this leak is that it fogs the windows. So, I drop off Deanna, head to Brown Elephant to unload. I step in a huge puddle and soak my shoe that I had previously gotten mostly dry from being soaked the day before. Temper rising.

Drive home with thoughts of stopping at Jiffy Lube to see if they have a wet vac and hit a big pot hole...not a normal one, but one that sounds like it did damage to our already crappy shocks that became crappy from all the potholes in Chicago. Temper hit the roof.

Get to Jiffy Lube. No wet vac. Could care less. I could have left the car idling there and walked away from it if I didn't have boxes in the back.

So, now I sit amongst the remains of our packing with a half flooded car and rain that should be non-stop until 10pm or so. If you're looking for items that are slightly rain damaged you might want to check our garbage tomorrow. You'll probably find a computer monitor, a stool...maybe even a Jetta. Check it out!

No comments: