Sunday, October 29, 2006

Trick or Treat Trot


Today was my first 5k. The Trick or Treat Trot. There were about 3000 people there either running in the 5 or 10k. AND an optional costume contest. I have a great and elaborate idea for a costume that will have to wait until next year...and by the looks of this years costumes, I'll totally win.



It was a chilly morning. Deanna took all of the pics except the next one, by the way.



3.1 miles was all I needed to do. I just ran 4.?? 3 days before...unfortunately, this time I didn't have my music, and I was racing against people. This meant that I started passing people like crazy in the beginning and then had to go slower in the second half. It was awesome to pass people...it sucked to get passed. I got passed by: an undead cheerleader, batman, superman, another batman, two ladies with enough breath to be chatting, an 11-year old boy, and a 9-year old girl with her mom. Ugh.



I'm hamming it up above...I wasn't that tired at the end. But I was tired.



I don't know if you can see it in the pic above...in the last 50 feet or so I sprinted and passed one last person. The clock says 29.11, but each person had a little microchip that they attached to their shoe to record their actual start and stop time (so, if you were in the back of the crowd and didn't cross the start line until 5 minutes into the race you wouldn't have that 5 minutes against you).



Here are my stats

239 512 RANCE RIZZUTTO M 34 32/64 28:42 9:14 CHICAGO

I was 239th out of about 930 people who were running the 5k (the rest of the 3000 people were registered as 10k runners or walkers of the 5 or 10k). I was 32nd out of 64 people in my age range. I came in at 28 minutes 42 seconds and had an average mile of 9 minutes 14 seconds. The guy in 238th place was my age and beat me by 1 second.

It was fun and I hope to increase my time. Below is a video Deanna took while I thought she was taking pictures.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well done! are the glasses to keep your eyes from watering from the speed of your pace? j.c.

Rance Rizzutto said...

And from the speed of the wind, yes.