Tuesday, November 17, 2009

A Different Time. A Different Land

For those who have followed this blog awhile, I may be blogging a little differently this time around. Normally I list the post by day number and date and location. I still might do this as it helps me when I go back to organize photos. This week might just be differnt.

So far things have been splendid. A totally different experience. As I may have stated before this first week is all about training. Since we're no longer on an international ship, the requirements are a little more in depth and serious. I'm a Merchant Marine for starters. Officially. Now we all are working towards an end goal of passing the Coast Guard's fire safety test. So far we have been trained in CPR, First Aid, Personal Safety Social Responsibility, and Crowd Management. Next is the Fire Fighting written test, Personal Safety Training, and Fire and Water safety practicum. THEN we can go back to being funny.

The cool thing about this week has been that we overlap with the previous cast. Some we knew, some we kind of knew, some we knew more than we thought because of their podcasts. Robyn has been a friend of ours the longest and has been working in various locations over the past two years, so it is good to see her for more than a ten-minute run-in in some Chicago theater. Chris I've done a couple random shows with in Chicago...just as soon as he showed up on the Chicago scene it seemed he left for L.A.. Mark we know the least. He was on the Gem right before us last year. Brett we've kind of known around Chicago but got to know better on our first Gem contract. He does the podcast Aphasia Presents Something with the remaining cast members Jeff and Jeannie. They are the ones we feel like we know well because of their twice weekly podcast.

Deanna and I were actually guests on their 54th episode (I think...whatever the latest is). We may be picking up the "podcast from a ship" torch while they're away.

Last night we got to watch their shows. There are only a few differences between their running order and ours so it was fun to see the subtle differences they do in scenes.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to study personal safety equipment.

No comments: