Friday, October 07, 2005

Hey...Improvisors

Just updating for the sake of it. I've been getting irritated with improv lately. To the point where I took a break from doing The Beatbox. I see too many improvisors coasting through shows and over loading their schedules...bad combo. Too the point where I started doing it. When I got back from Maine I stopped doing two different shows. That left me with three. Now I'm down to ComedySportz and ImprovOlympic. I can feel something big coming...whether it's good or not I can't tell.

If you're an improvisor, and you read this, and you rely on the same bits to get through your shows, or you have no realization of how the audience is reacting to the energy level of the show while you're in the show...all I ask is that you try something new and think of the audience.

I know too many performers who come to shows like it's a chore...like they'd rather be doing anything. It shows on stage, and worse yet, it rubs off on the other performers. This usually happens in two ways. One, the performers match the crappy energy of the person who doesn't want to be there. Two, the performer notices the crappy energy of the person and the other performers infected and tries to over compensate with super energy. Neither are very effective...sometimes the second one is, but usually it comes across as creepy.

So, if you're doing a show that you don't want to be doing, stop doing it.

To my knowledge I've met one improvisor who can be in a pissy mood pre-show...but manages to not let it totally effect the others, and totally plays an A game when on stage. Kudos to you, unnamed improvisor.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"I can feel something big coming...whether it's good or not I can't tell. "

I really hope that doesn't mean what I think it means, but if it does, I'm sure it's for your well-being. Do what makes you happy.

-declan