Sunday, October 09, 2005

Pet Peeves

I can't remember how these got planted in my mind...be it comedian or someone else's peeves.

Two simple phrases that people use a lot: "To be honest..." and "In my personal opinion..."

1) "To be honest..." or anything like that ("I honestly think...", anything with "honest"). Anytime I hear someone say this I think to myself "so, THIS is the sentence I should trust. All of the other sentences were lies, but THIS one is honest." Let this be planted in your brain and you will hear almost EVERYONE say this at some point. It also can be taken as the opposite sometimes. "Why would he say he's being honest? He must really want me to believe this...I don't buy it."

2) "In my personal opinion..." or even just "In my opinion...". Ugh. Look, you're talking right? I can already assume what you're telling me is an opinion, and if I can assume it's an opinion coming from you that it must be personal.

3) "In my honest opinion..." ... the combo. Not only did I assume it was your opinion 'cause you were telling me, but now I have to determine whether everything you've been saying is a lie.

People are story tellers. People forget things. When we tell a story we heard we make up for what we forgot, usually by embellishing.


Oh


Also


People who dress up their pets, or people who dress their twin children in the same outfits...STOP IT!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

my pet peeve is the phrase "pet peeve". i have no idea what the hell it means.

-declan

tara d. said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.