Monday, October 31, 2005

Happy Halloween!

It's Halloween! Remember when it was scary and fun and mystical?!

If I remember correctly I was living here in this same apartment last year and we had zero trick or treat kids. Ah well.

I have a birthday in 3 days. I was almost born on Halloween. I have a childhood memory of my dad saying my name would have been "Goblin" if I would have been born on 10/31. It seems like my dad is now more like he was when I was a kid...a slightly mischieveous prankster. Just slightly. There was a period from my teens to twenties when time was rough...maybe it was two kids and college money. But I remember little tidbits from my youth like that.

My mom used to cut my hair in the kitchen and he would always come in and offer to do it saying he'd give me a buzz cut or a mohawk. Or when we were at the Smithsonian when I was about 5-6 years old. There were skulls in a display case. He said when I died he would put my skull in there and I thought that was the coolest thing. My mom didn't seem to care much for the comment.

I think my dad helped me develop my sense of humor. Anytime I left a light on, left stuff on a desk, or got in his way while the TV was on I got: "Are you in [room with light on that I wasn't in anymore]?"; "The sofa's not a desk."; or "you make a better door than a window." This helped me because I would start coming up with clever retorts to the 'dad burns'.

Now it's come full circle and I usually am telling Deanna to turn lights off or rinse her dishes. Ah well, the legacy continues!

4 comments:

tara d. said...

thinking about an older rance-ish gent makes me very happs.

Anonymous said...

I remember the dad-burns from IA... Good times.

p.s. i'm sick of having to enter the WORD VERIFICATION. i swear to god, if i have to do it twenty more times i'll be pretty frazzled.

Anonymous said...

No, no, not Goblin - I was gonna name you Ghoul. You almost got Hey U but ma didn't go for that idea. She gave ya a great sport name though and I expect to see it on the big screen someday. Love ya - Dad

Anonymous said...

I remember a few Ranceisms during those days: thot I told ya to put my tools back when you're done with them (after screwdriver was missing for one week) Ans: I'm not done with it, Dad. or Do you have homework? Ans: no, cause it's still at school. I still chuckle with those replies. - Dad