Wednesday, October 19, 2005

CORN!

Sunday we went out to a corn maze. It was more than awesome.

I moved here in March of 2003. In October of that year, there was promise of a ComedySportz gathering to go out to a corn maze. I was excited...it never happened.

The following year, remembering the awful cancellation of the prior trip, plans were made again. 10/04 would be TRIUMPHANT! ... No. Didn't happen. A lot of people blamed Shad for no real reason. I was the first and loudest of said blamers.

This year, I didn't get my hopes up. WE DID IT! There were 20 of us all in all. A mix of CSz-ers, friends or family of CSz-ers, and just other improvisors.

10 acres of corn, at night, nearly full moon in a cloudless sky. The first half of the maze isn't haunted...the second half IS!

All sorts of people dressed in dark cloaks, hiding in corn and jumping out. A couple of guys with chainsaws. One Scarecrow who would be up on a stick one minute, then gone then next. And of course...a gorilla. What? Yes...a gorilla. Probably the one that scared me the most too. Deanna got scared a LOT and her back was sore when she got back home.

On the Thursday before the corn, Deanna and I got tickets to see the Second City Mainstage show. Technically it was the last night it would be it's full self. They're starting to work on the next show and that means using the post-show improv sets to work on new material that could get entered into the show as soon as it's good. Luckily they weren't doing this stuff yet, Molly (who graced us with tickets) invited us to do the improv set after their show. The audience is invited to hang out for it.

Deanna and I were a little nervous but we went up there. I wasn't too happy with my first scene, but had fun as an Inuit Psychologist in my second scene.

Good times.

2 comments:

tara d. said...

this ruled so much!

i'm so glad we were on the same t.

Anonymous said...

i can't believe how much fun we had!

OH wait. i'm in maine, and my only source of improv is shutting down tomarrow. (except for Drew Carey's Green Screen and reruns of Whose Line?)

my only sanctity is reading the blogs detailing the life of improvisors. good enough.

i hope deanna's back feels better.

(and tell her to update!)

-declan