Monday, June 29, 2009

6/29/09: Day 246: Istanbul, Turkey

More groupy stuff this time around. We hadn’t really planned anything on our own because Mary had been in contact with a former student who has started his own improv group in Istanbul (Istanbul Impro). They offered to show us around the city…non-tourist style. It was very relaxing. His name is Koray and his wife Zeynep was there too.

We didn’t get into the port until around 1pm so we spent the afternoon chatting over tea and coffee (I had tea this time) then walking to a nice place to eat. They arranged for us to have a nice sampling of all traditional dishes. Lots of lamb and veggie combos…delicious!

Everyone headed back to the ship around 6:30 to freshen up for the night. Oh yeah, we got to have another overnight port! Since Mary knew Koray she had been contacting him and they randomly went from “let’s meet” to “our Turkish improv group will put on a show for you to see” to “you guys can be in the show.” So we met between 8:00 and 8:50 for a 9:00 show. They packed the place on a Monday night. It was almost all in Turkish but still very enjoyable to watch. They asked for one of us to come up to play with them and I was the first volunteer from our group. I’m glad I did. We played a game where they got a lot of suggestions a head of time and then we just did scenes based on two of those suggestions per scene. They were all in Turkish so I had them tell me what some were, but I preferred not knowing. As they were getting the suggestions I asked them to ask the audience “What do you think Americans like to do for fun?” I know we certainly have our Muslim stereotypes in the US and I was curious about the reverse. The five responses that they took translated to: Sex, Drinking, Swearing, Conspiracy Theory, and Philosophy. Towards the end I was in a scene with Swearing as one of the things and they pimped me into singing a song. I’ll try to get the video up on youtube…I didn’t swear in the whole song…theoretically.

They were such good performers and actors and I feel like this was the best way to have our contract come to it’s end. The nice thing is we’re going to see Koray and Zeynep tomorrow!

No comments: