Sunday, June 28, 2009

6/28/09: Day 245: Izmir, Turkey

The second country on our itinerary that we don’t know the language for. There was another crew tour offered today to go to Ephesus…one of the natural wonders of the ancient world. Unfortunately it was also more ruins and we had no inclination to go to that.

We headed to their bazaar with Ric, Kwami, and Janet with a cab driver who also walked with us as a guide. The first shop we went in offered us tea or coffee and showed us their goods. I wasn’t too interested in buying anything but waited with the group while they got their teas and I my coffee. Turkish coffee is different. I didn’t care for it. Everyone else got the apple tea and it was DELICIOUS. I should have got that.

Once we found a store that sold suits Ric was in there for awhile. Kwami and Janet had to get back to the ship and Ric was going to be a while so Deanna and I headed off. Well, without our Turkish guide and strength in numbers we were approached by EVERY vendor we walked past. We got out of the bazaar.

Luckily we saw more friends from the ship and tagged along the way to see…the walk back to the ship. Many times along the way we came across groups of children, usually boys, who would follow us saying “I love euro! I love euro!” I was doing bits with some of them and they just got more annoying. The last group we came across followed us up until a restaurant worker started walking towards them with a stern look on his face. They all ran away.

Tomorrow we’ll be in Istanbul and we’re supposed to go see a show by Istanbul Impro. I love foreign improv…especially if it isn’t in English.

No comments: