Thursday, May 15, 2008

Birthdays and Terrible Movies

Two major developments. First, I had a Johnny Roast Beef show tonight at iO. Our team has a group email that we use to communicate to each other, but Jim's birthday was today! I had reminded everyone last week that my calendar said Jim's birthday was today and that we should do something. Brendan made cupcakes and we planned to not say anything to him at all until we got on stage. Once we got on stage the plan was for none of us to step up to get a suggestion, know that he would. As soon as he did we all sang happy birthday.

However, while we were singing he was turning to us and saying "it's not my birthday." We figured he was lying. He wasn't. After our show we had a chance to check the facts. I said "I don't know what's up! My calendar said it was today...see? Oh." My calendar ACTUALLY said 5/28. So, I had been instrumental in organizing a birthday surprise...that was two weeks away from the actual date. It was funny though and we decided it would be fun to do in the future. So, any show could end up being a "birthday."

In other news, I've been waiting to see the movie Juno. We kind of missed it while we were on the ship and all the buzz was happening. I had heard it was great. I like Michael Cera and Jason Bateman a lot. It won an oscar for original screenplay, so...I waited. It finally was released on DVD so I put it in my netflix queue.

Michael Cera is the ONLY reason I watched this all the way through. The worst thing about this movie was...oddly enough...THE SCREENPLAY. The writing was awful! It started off with teens saying stuff I've heard NO ONE IN MY LIFE every say. Not dirty, just "this is how I imagine the kids talk today" stuff. Boo. Then the adults ended up having weird dialogue as well. It tapered off a bit as the movie progressed, but every time it came back it was like a slap to the face.

And it wasn't just the language...this sixteen year old girl is an expert in music knowledge AND classic horror films AND ancient pop-culture references? No way. Deanna was wayyyyyy less forgiving than I was. I gave it a chance, but I had my breaking moment where I was only watching the movie for Michael Cera moments, or the end. There is this other girl that Michael Cera's character would never date because she and her house smells like soup. BUT, he ends up inviting her to the prom. As Juno goes off on him she reffers to his date as Soupy Sales.
.
.
.
Soupy Sales. If you are a high school student who knows who Soupy Sales is AND knew who he was before Juno came out, please let me know. But I'm pretty sure that there is NO WAY IN HELL she should know that.

In comedysportz we do buyout shows for high school groups sometimes. Something I find hilarious is when someone drops a reference from before the kids were born. Usually it involves the high school audience giving the suggestion of "the 80s" and then not understanding any references to the 80s except "rubik's cube." But once in a show...I think last year...someone on stage actually said Soupy Sales (or maybe it was Nipsy Russell) and got ZERO reaction. Zero. Which is as it should be.

Like watching movies that seem pretentiously written? Watch the first 5 minutes of Juno and decide to carry on or not. You realllllllly need to like Arrested Development or Super Bad to go further than that.

4 comments:

Tony Rizzutto said...

I get most of my movies from the library. call me old fogie but people who complain about teen language and violence need to communicate more with Hollywood. 2 movies I only watched for 5 minutes were Knocked Up and Good Luck Chuck. TV did good advertisements on these but I couldn't stomach the cesspool coming from the language and sex. why do people think this is funny? Mostly pothead druggies I would imagine. Walk Hard Dewie Cox Story was written by potheads and only funny to potheads. Give me a break! Our youth has got to be smarter than that! - or Not.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Are ALL of the Rizzutto's dead inside?

But seriously, good call on Good Luck Chuck. However, Juno, Knocked Up and Walk Hard are ALL excellent. And I've only smoked pot 3 times in my 36 years of existence.

Tony Rizzutto said...

Not dead inside or brain dead either (although my wife may differ). Just generation difference. Oh, for the comedy of 40's and 50's. At least a plot was involved. Mr. Ed and Francis - now that was funny. Just saw Daddy Daycare. It got some laughs from me. (ps - I've never smoked anything in my 61 years)

Unknown said...

I absolutely hated the first 15 minutes of Juno, but then it won me back over. By the end, I liked it. Were you patient enough, Rance? Or did your mind close after the first 15 minutes? I don't blame you, but I think you should let a few days pass, then try watching it again, but skip the first chapter or two. Then see what you think. You might be surprised! (Or not, as your dad would say.)