Monday, September 12, 2005

Ghost in the Machine?...around the Machine?

Anyone out there believe in ghosts? I do...a little...enough to not not believe in them. Something strange has been happening to my stuff...maybe YOU can explain it. Three times now I've found something of mine with a screw all the way unscrewed...and not always the same thing...and usually something I have on my person constantly, except at night.

I just put this altogether today...right now.

I'll go backwards. I have a belt that I have worn almost constantly since my last belt broke. It's a dress belt and it is reversable. Brown on one side, black on the other. The buckle rotates with a spring mechanism so you can flip it to whatever side you want out. There are two small screws holding the base of the buckle to the belt. The screws are about 1/4" long with small threads. I just notice one of the screws almost all the way out. I had to "spin" it a lot to get it back into place. Maybe it spun loose over time, but it was sticking out and I think I would have noticed it. This is when I remembered that this belt had that happen before. The screw was all the way out as far as it was this time. I'd understand if it was a little loose, but it was near the point of falling out, both times.

The belt incidents were pretty far spread.

In between those, about a month ago, my phone antennae popped off. There was a little hole in the back and the screw was missing. I remembered setting my phone down on my desk to charge it for a morning gig, and discovered the screw missing at the gig. When I got home I found the screw on my desk. There used to be a rubber stopper filling the screw hole, but that was gone. The screw is about 1/2" long, small threads and took me a while to screw it in. PLUS, it has a hexagonal slot...not a screw head.

Screws a little loose...understood. Screws coming all the way out while just sitting around? Mystery?

4 comments:

Rance Rizzutto said...

Hey...Anonymous...oddly enough I'm NOT interested. You're a jerk. I hope you know how to spell fewwoyhx from now on.

tara d. said...

hey, is deanna a ghost?

then i believe in ghosts.

for reals, i don't know though... i think my status is same as yours: i don't not believe in g-s. i can buy in. why they're so busy unscrewing your stuff, i'll never understand.

Anonymous said...

I had a ghost recently take the screw out of my glasses. Oh, and then it covered my kitchen in blood and bees.

Anonymous said...

It wasn't ghosts, Rance. What a juvenile guess. I'm snickering right now, as I write this. I think we ALL know that it's Screw Gnomes. Duh.


-declan