Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Dear America, You've Been Brainwashed

--Edit
After coming up with that title I forgot to write about the story that inspired it.

In most of the ports there are free shuttles that take you to various shopping locations. In Hilo Deanna, Mike and I took the shuttle to a place called Hilo Hattie's (Haddie's?)...a common store in Hawaii. Where ever your shuttle goes the driver is usually required to mention a little something about specials in the store and they also will talk about other areas on the island. Well, as we took a turn and neared the mall that Hilo Hattie's was in at least four people in the shuttle all said loudly and with glee "WAL-MART!" You're on vacation. Even if you weren't, no one should be that excited about Wal-mart. And to that I say "Dear America, You've Been Brainwashed."

Also, check out the comments to this post!
--end edit

What has happened...I've uploaded photos to facebook. So, check there for the latest photos. I'll get them on flickr soon.

We're finally settling into normalcy as we no longer have pesky training or rehearsals to worry about. On Honolulu Day (days of the week are arbitrary to me now) we walked to the Ala Moala Mall (? that is how I remember the name. Whatever the big ass mall in Honolulu is called). I bought a couple of show shirts, one of which suffered the Wrath of the Random Stains...a laundry room mystery that devistated my entire load of red and orange clothes with blue stains.

On the way back from the mall I decided to try to find Laughtrack theater. A theater that the previous cast spent time hanging out with and teaching workshops to. I just wanted to find the theater. As luck would have it I showed up 10 minutes before a full-cast rehearsal and met a bunch of the folks there.

The next day was Kahului. We went to the mall and caught a $1 bus to Lahaina. A nice little town with a big banyan tree. It was Weird Rain day. Totally sunny out except for clouds over the valley in the distance, but it was windy enough to blow the light rain drizzle all the way into the town. Needless to say there were great rainbows.

Today we're in Hilo and did some exploring. Jeff and Robyn both made guides to the ports that have been very helpful in finding stuff. However, they all said there isn't much in Hilo. If only they would have taken a right by the ice pond on the the way to Ken's. They would have found the Banyan tree park and the Japanese Garden. Maybe they did, but it wasn't on the list.

Also, anyone who really follows us travlers knows Brett bought an ukulele and let it sit for about 6 months before strumming it one time. He left it behind. Today I downloaded a free iTouch app with all the chords (C6 is all open so use that to tune the ukulele) and while we were at Borders I bought an IZ song book. I can pretty much play that Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World song now.

Tonight we have an improv show. Oh! Improv! If you're an improvisor...especially if you're a shortform improvisor, AND you have an iPhone or iTouch, look up the "iprov" app. It is a big list of short form games and exercises. AND it is FREE. AND. (rule of threes)

2 comments:

Jon de Mello said...

I am Jon de Mello - Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwo'ole's Producer...... I would very much like to hear your version of "Over the Rainbow/ What a Wonderful world". It such a statement of what you are to want to learn the songs......... that I definitely want to hear then.

be brave
Aloha, never leave home without it
Jon de Mello

contestrobyn said...

I DID find Banyon Tree park and the Japanese Gardens but I didn't find them until after I typed up your guide. It was on my list of things to do for a long time and I procrastinated until the last week before you guys arrived.

Sooooo pretty. Glad you found them on your own! :)