Friday, August 11, 2006

Broken Summer

I was going to title this "Now is the Summer of our discontent" but I searched that title on the web to see if there was more to it that I could use...I found out a ton of people used that quote, and mostly for blogs.

Summer. This summer has been interesting to phrase it kindly. I can think of seven couples off-hand that have broken up since April. Now, that may seem like a small amount, but at least half of these were long term relationships. Some are for good. Some are for "we'll find out after we take a breather". It has also been the start of some relationships...relationships that make me go "huh?" or "really?" like Michael Bluth would say in Arrested Development.

To the people in these new relationships I say, look at the person you're with. Really look at them. And look at the things they've done. I know you may be in an "I just broke up after a long relationship" situation. I know you may be in an "I haven't had anyone in so long" situation. But, really? I love you guys...and I don't get it. It makes me crazy that I don't get it, and crazier that you don't get it. But if you're happy, great. Happy now may mean more hurt soon thereafter. For all I know you may not be seeing that person anymore. It makes me want to fight.

To the people broken up. Stay strong. Do something by yourself until the summer is over. I had a bad break up once and ended up with a black belt in Tae Kwon Do. I can break boards like nobody's business. Don't look for someone. 'Cause when you don't, you'll find them.

Most importantly, to the people on the edge. Hang tight, brothers and sisters. This summer is testing everyone. I defy you to tell me I'm wrong. About a month ago when I was becoming aware of all the break ups, Deanna and I had a fight. It was about something not stupid, but it could have been handled in a non-fight manner. Luckily we realized this. It's this summer. It's a ball-buster.

Every now and then we can feel it pulling at us again. We figure if we can make it to September 22nd (Fall) we'll be safe...for a while at least. We're in our 6th year together, so the 7 year itch is coming up.

Hopefully we'll have stocked up on some sort of medicated relationship Tucks pad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i'm gonna make it through the summer, rance. you are an inspiration. OH, and tell deanna to post on her blog. dooo it. doooooooooo it.