Monday, February 27, 2006

Power Weekend

I don't think I've really talked about improv in a while.

I had a power weekend this time around. Friday started off with a Johnny Roast Beef show at I.O. and something was amiss with the electrical system. It was the last show for the first group. Right after their opening the lights went out. Everything was dead in the control room. It ended up being that a breaker got triggered, but this team was left to do their last show in the dark...until they came on...and until someone went back to see what the problem was by turning on the computer and tripping the breaker again. That team got the lights blown three times. We followed their show and had zero light problems...go figure. We had a great show. Big time fun. Katie Nahnsen, ladies and gentlemen...keep that name in your brains. She's funny and will go places. Emily is funny too, but she's too comfortable in her day job to take the risk of low paying opportunities.

I went straight from their to reffing at CSz. The longest show I've reffed in a while. Just a weird coincidental show where not a single game we played was short.

Saturday meant two CSz shows...reffing, then sound. Yep...3 CSz shows and I didn't play in a single one. The show I reffed was phenomenal. I told everyone before the audience even started coming in that I smelled a good show. I was getting suggestions for 5 things and this kid, who had given me plenty of suggestions, gave me "Liquid Nitrogen." I took "mud" instead, but told him if Molly said "Liquid Nitrogen" I would give him a dollar. 5 things ends and I'm telling the audience what their half-time options are when Molly stands up and says "Ref Rance? I have an announcement...Liquid Nitrogen." During the second half I gave that kid a dollar.

Tonight (Sunday) was a partial surprise. Rich text messaged me to see what I was doing. I had shoots in the afternoon and an 11:00pm show at IO. He said "we're going to play in the set at SC". See, SC is Second City. They do an improv set after their shows and they let guests play sometimes. Tonight was my second time. The first time was with Deanna and I was nervous and boring. This time I was getting some good ones in there. It was fun and the cast is very, VERY nice about welcoming and thanking guests. Thanks SC!

From there we went to IO to see Bill Arnet's one man show (I think I spelled his last name wrong), and Meta Five before I did my Super Fun Times show. Super Fun Times is a group that just kind of got together to start doing shows in this 11:00 slot. I got invited two Sundays ago and played in the last three shows. And tonight, since Rich and Molly were there for Bill's show, we invited them to play with us. It was nice for them 'cause Molly is on Mainstage SC and her and Rich don't get to perform together as much as they used to.

EVERYONE WINS!

1 comment:

tara d. said...

yay to winning!

that kid won, too. that was funny.