Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Killing Time

Eric Lindberg wrote about this and I feel compelled to as well. Last night we had a three hour rehearsal with a guy who started Poetry Slam in Chicago. He was talking to us because he was working with our artistic director to combine CSz and Poetry Slam...into PoetrySportz. I haven't been free on a night it has played, but I hear nothing but great things.

He is at our rehearsal to help wit our poetry based games. The first hour was all him talking about history, which left me instantly disconnected. I should start by saying that Spoken Poetry is one of my least favorite forms of "entertainment". It is sort of a bastard middle ground between poems on paper, and songs...both of which I like. I like writing poems, I like reading poems, but watching someone theatrically express their poem? Poison. It's good to see in order to represent it on a comedy stage...but not on a frequent basis.

To those who love it. Good. Great! That's why it's still around! You love it!

It just makes me cringe...and apparently, it makes me lose my train of thought. Bu-bye.

No comments: