Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Did we really like this stuff?

Right now I'm watching "Top Secret" on HBO Family. Maybe I've been doing improv so long that campy bits are lost on me now, but this movie is ridiculous, and I remember loving it when I was younger.

It's like a terrible pun every 2 minutes. It reminds me of Mel Brooks' any movie.

I never saw "Blazing Saddles" when I was younger, but everyone speaks of it's hilarity, and I did a VO that changed the words of a scene in that movie. I then bought the DVD of this hilarious gem. I then watched it.

It is a different era, friends. The humor in it is very punny/HA HEY! And a lot of it is racist.

Speaking of HA HEY! Val Kilmer in Top Secret was at a play and had to hide. He went into the "Prop Room"...once inside it was full of PROPELLERS!!! HA HEY!

Was it a simpler time? Are movies that are currently out as stupid, but in a different way?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yup - age makes the difference. Give me a good Marx Bros or Abbott&Costello any day. 3 stooges is so so but comedy of today is just plain dumb. Ma & I just watched "Party" with Peter Sellers. Haven't laughed so hard in a long time. I don't care for Blaze saddles but I like Mad Mad World. Stuff on TV nowadays I just say "Huh?" Although I like Earl. Where is Red Skelton or Phil Silvers humor anymore? - Dad

Anonymous said...

He laughed at "The Party", but not I. Here's a great one (not a comedy, but have been meaning to mention it): The Weeping Camel. Documentary type set in Mongolia. A must-see. - Me

Anonymous said...

the same thing happened with "The Mask" with Jim Carrey. I had watched that movie like 12 times when i was 8, (it was my first PG-13 movie) I didn't get some of the humor, but i loved it. I watched it again last month and it's chalk full of puns and terrible jokes. Still laughable.