Friday, November 04, 2005

Birthday Jamboree!

Yesterday was my birthday and it was good times!

Deanna and I went to breakfast at Uncommon Ground. Normally I get some sort of egg, meat, potato or pancake combo. Uncommon Ground thinks that is for suckers. I got eggs, pancakes and sausage, but they were all separate dishes. Luckily our server was an improvisor...we'll call him Jason. He said he could pull some strings or something along those lines. We got some sort of discount.

Deanna got me 3 DVDs I wanted and a shirt and sweater that were pretty cool. One of the DVDs (Harry Potter 3) was fullscreen mode instead of widescreen. We went back to exchange it and saw the same sweaters in different colors. Deanna got me another sweater, tshirt, and a sport coat. Nice!

For the rest of the day we hung out. I watched some of xmen 2 and then we both watched Batman Begins. The day goes on. Nice and relaxed.

We had initially decided to try to have a dinner. Deanna sent out the invite to some people I hold dear, but hardly anyone responded or they were busy. So we just mellowed out all day...until 9:55pm.

Our door buzzer makes it usual sound (like someone stepping on a baby bird). I go answer and it's Tara...with balloons, two 2-liters of soda and party hats. Suspicious.

I had thought, earlier in the day, that she might be throwing a surprise deal of some sort, but I didn't want to be the guy who expects a party all day and nothing happens. So I put that thought aside. As soon as Tara showed up, everything started making sense:
- Deanna was tidying up the apartment more than we normally do
- When we were exchanging the DVD I was looking at video games and she said "maybe you should get a party game"

I wouldn't necessarily say "I KNEW IT!", but I had minor suspicions that I let go. We already have a party game (Donkey Konga) so it would have made sense to get one...and it is nice to have a clean apartment. They didn't 100% lead to "there will be a party".

After Tara came Sam, Stacey, Robyn, and Rich. We hung out, I showed them the wonders of Michael Jackson's Moonwalker. We played celebrity...and then...as usual, I bust out Donkey Konga.

Donkey Konga is a bongo game...that's all I'm going to say about it. It is fun and hilarious to watch people play.




My Favorite shots by Deanna:


4 comments:

tara d. said...

yay! happy b-day, you dface! i love you a ton. donkey konga makes me feel nervous (and happs).

Rich said...

I heart Rance, Deanna, and Donkey Konga.

Biz and/or Jordi said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BELATED BIRTHDAY HAPPY, RANCE!!!

I still carry with me the fact that I have Donkey Konga pulsing through my veins at all times and as I'm listening to music on the bus - I drum silently with my fingers (usually to the new Franz Ferdinand album).

Happy Birthday!

Okay, I'm going to check out what your lady's been up to.
Love Jordi

Anonymous said...

Sounds like tons of fun! I must have lost my invite in the mail. I wish you another sweeeeet year of improv and life in the city.

-declan