Sunday, August 30, 2009

8/30/09: Filler, Shriller, Chiller

Very soon I'll be taking a stand-up class. It starts next week and ends right before we leave, so the timing is perfect. In my head I've been meaning to get into stand-up for awhile. The thing that appeals to me about it in difference to improv is that if something isn't going well or the audience isn't reacting as expected...well, it is just me up there, so I can change it. If it is a successful change, I win. If not, I can only blame myself.

In other news, we've gone from the coldest July in Chicago on record to possibly the coldest August in Chicago on record. It is 57 right now and should get to the mid-60s. The nice thing about this is we can close our windows at night.

In this apartment, with our windows open, sounds always happen early morning. It seems like garbage men come daily to pick up trash. Birds have nice trees to chirp in. And dogs find stuff to bark at. All right by our apartment.

With our windows closed they are not giving up. Now we have saws cutting through cement in the back parking lot, and today I was awoken to the sound of a crazed dog and a woman screaming...in the back parking lot. I am no dog expert, but if these people would actually walk their dogs instead of letting them out into the gated parking lot they might be less stressed. It was very surreal and I was only half sure I heard it, but once it woke me up I also heard a guy say "are you okay?"

Sounds. I guess I don't always like sounds.

1 comment:

chama said...

Stand-up class? How cool! I'm in SFO visiting Bradford and while looking for something to do tonight did a search to see if you were performing in the Bay area. Alas, no luck for us, but nice to find your blog instead.

Good luck with all the city sounds, hope to see you perform some day in the near future. - chama